POULENC, F. – Complete Chamber Music” (5 CD SET)
- POULENC, F.: Chamber Music (Complete), Vol. 1 – Sextet / Trio / Oboe Sonata / Flute Sonata (Bernold, Doise, Spaendonck, Lefèvre, Joulain, Tharaud) 8.553611
- POULENC, F.: Chamber Music (Complete), Vol. 2 – Violin Sonata / Clarinet Sonata / Cello Sonata (Spaendonck, Mourja, Groben, Tharaud) 8.553612
- POULENC, F.: Chamber Music (Complete), Vol. 3 – Sonata for Two Pianos / Clarinet Sonatas (Spaendonck, Moisan, Lefèvre, Tharaud, F. Chaplin) 8.553613
- POULENC, F.: Chamber Music (Complete), Vol. 4 – Bal masque (Le) / Rapsodie negre / Élégie (Leguérinel, Spaendonck, J.-M. Phillips, Groben, Tharaud) 8.553614
- POULENC, F.: Chamber Music (Complete), Vol. 5 – Histoire de Babar (L’) / L’Invitation au Château / Léocadia (Darrieux, Mouzaya, N. Emerson, Tharaud) 8.553615
‘Francis Poulenc is music itself, I know no music more direct, more simply expressed nor which goes so unerringly to it’s target. ‘ This praise from Darius Milhaud can be applied to all of Poulenc’s music, but the chamber works represent a lifetime of working with virtuoso friends or following an urgent desire to compose, reflecting the essence of his instantly recognizable and deeply personal style. They range from Poulenc’s youthful creativity as a member of the Groupe des Six, via a rich seam of masterpieces, to the sonatas composed as his final works. Acclaim for these recordings can be summed up by the comment ‘you simply can’t go wrong with any of the discs in this series.